Monday, September 18, 2006

Staff Note: In honor of the launch of Glitter's new Mentor Program, we asked Kristin to premiere our "Seven Questions With..." Interview Feature! We're posting her responses here in the KristinBlog.

NAME: Kristin Chenoweth
PROFESSION: Actress/Singer
SOME NOTABLE FORMER CLIENTS/PROJECTS: You're A Good Man Charlie Brown, Wicked, The West Wing, RV


1. So, tell us a bit about your way cool job. What might a normal day be like where you work?

If I'm working TV or film, its an all day affair! Slow!!! I try to work out in my off time, and work on my singing so I'm ready for any concert I have comin up!


2. Most of us think about the entertainment industry and imagine glamorous movie stars and slammin' twenty-four hour parties. So set the record straight. What are some cool things we might not know about what you do, and what are some common misconceptions?

Misconception: I don't go out a lot to party. I go to "parties" but usually, its work-related. I enjoy my life and friends, but I stay in a lot too so I can get rest and take care of my body and voice. So I can work. I also love renting movies!! And reading (I love The Five People You Meet in Heaven -- I'm reading it now). See, I'm pretty boring.



3. Everyone has to start out somewhere, right? Tell us a little about your college background. What was your major, and how does the stuff you learned in class help you out in your job now?


In school, I majored in music theater and got my masters in opera performance. I learned so much! Sight-reading, doing shows, taking acting, and learning how to multi-task! Which I do all the time now!!



4. Tell us about your first BIG break. What did you do to get your foot in the door, and how long did you spend toiling away as an intern, or a coffee-go-getter, before you felt like you had finally "arrived"?

My first break was Scapin at the roundabout theater on bway. A play!! With Bill Irwin!! Then Steel Pier. On bway. But Charlie Brown really solidified the fact to me, that I might be able to work for a while in the theater!



5. Overcoming obstacles and dealing with rejection is a big part of becoming successful in this (or any) industry. Everyone has those days where they want to just throw in the towel. How do you deal with such challenges?


If I'm feeling "low" or like I wanna quit, I pray. I meditate. I talk to my family and friends. Suddenly everything gets into perspective.



6. Okay. Time to brag a little (and whine a little.) What is the absolute best part of your job? What is the worst part?

The best part about my job is that I work all the time. The worst part about my job is I work all the time.



7. And finally, the BIG question. (Remember, this is your chance to impart your wisdom onto a mass of young, earnest, and hard-working Glitterites.) What's the best advice you have for someone interested in doing what you do? What's the best career advice you have in general?


If you can see yourself doing anything besides acting and being happy, then GO! But if not, then GO for it!!!!!!



12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristin you are amazing for taking the time out to answer all these questions !! Thanks for being so active on Glitter!! :) I'm going to go buy that book tomorrow!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

It's so awesome that you're doing this. I like your answer to the last one, good advice.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awsomeness is all I can say. :) Oh, and Five People You Meet in Heaven is a really great book!

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering those questions, Kristin! I'll definitely have to find that book. And since you said you're a reader, I just finished something really awesome. Check out The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger in all that spare time you have. ;) So glad you're going back to Bway! I really hope I can get up to NYC while you're in Apple Tree! Seriously, you wow me!

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Kristin your awesome! I'm reading "the five poeple you meet in heaven" too! YAY! i feel cool now :-).


<33

5:33 AM  
Blogger Art+Volleyball+dreaming=Sara said...

Hey Kristin, I have a question. I have to make a blog for my English 1 writing class. You don't have to but, can ya look at it and tell me what what ya think of it. Thanks.
~Sara~Ilene~

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristin, you and Eden Espinosa are my idols. I'm planning to go into musical theatre, and your last answer gave me a lot of confidence.

WW

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what can I say, Kristin. You are such an amazing actress and singer and just an amazing person. Thanx sooooo much for caring so much about your fans. A lot of stars become so absorbed in their star status that they forget all about the little people (that's us, the fans!). But not you. You still find time to write to us and keep us posted on your busy Hollywood/ Broadway life. You have no idea how much you impact so many peoples lives and I just wanted to say, thank you.

Much love,
Ally

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, as soon as I read that you were reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven, I looked it up on Amazon, read the first 5 pages, and ordered it! Then I read everyone's comments about going to buy it and I just laughed. It seems so interesting, I wanted to read more - but you can only read the first 5 pages on Amazon, then it cuts you off.

Anywhoo, thanks so much for everything you do, not just on Glitter, but everything in the entertainment business. You're amazing!

-Cherisse

6:03 PM  
Blogger tallteen said...

hey Kristin, i know you're really busy. but i figured I'd be kicking myself in the butt if i didn't do this. my name is Amy, I'm 14. and one of your biggest fans.
i heard of you through wicked and you and Idina are remarkable! I'm now obsessed with wicked (I'm reading the book and listening to "one short day" right now!) now i can say i've done it, i've commented on your blog.
no more kicking myself in the butt.
god bless,
amy

10:33 PM  
Blogger tallteen said...

hey Kristin! thnx for answering all those questions. I've been wondering what i really wanna do as a career. I've always known I've wanted to do something in the performing arts, and that will help me! someday i wish to be on Broadway. one of my wishes is to play elphaba in wicked! (i'm obsessed with it, I'm listening to the sound track and reading the book right now.) *i sang "for good" for a choir i was in and like a good chorister, i did my research and thats how i got hooked on it.*
*thinks to self, shoot I've gotta get practicing that song again! i have a performance coming up!! AHH!* (sorry my brain is fried, I'm thinking out loud again.)
that song makes me cry whenever i sing it...
thnx again!
god bless!
Amy
(p.s. you we're brilliant in wicked, annie, and the music man! and mark my words, one day, when i am on Broadway, i will meet you and idina!)

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kristin,

This feels a little funny, cause I don't actually know if you'll read this or it's actually you, but I've had good luck with Tracie Thoms, so here goes:

Thanks for this, it was really great. Helped me a bit in my decision for what I want to be studying next year. It's great you take time out for your fans! I just discovered this page.

Love, your New Zealand fan, Olivia xoxox

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home